NZ titles for Hamilton kickboxers at Knees of Fury
KNEES OF FURY 51 - Muay Thai Kickboxing Fight Night
Hamilton YMCA, 28th March 2015
Knees of Fury 51 most certainly drew a much anticipated crowd to the Hamilton YMCA on 28th March 2015. 15 high energy Muay Thai Kickboxing fights were on this card including two New Zealand title fights and they did not fail to deliver.
Flames were burning ring side which brought fans to their feet cheering as every fighter approached the ring, bowed, then entered the ring where they paid respect to each corner of the stadium before taking to their corner men.
The first of the two title fights and the only female fight of the evening was fight 13 for the WKBF NZ Women’s Welterweight 66.8kg title. Natalia Teller of ETK Auckland confidently approaches the ring escorted by trainer Jason Suttie set to defend her belt against contender, Waikato local, Melody Downs of Team Downs. Rounds 1 and 2 saw a very even exchange of punches and kicks and early hunts for any openings where round 3 saw the fight go to another level. As the punches got fiercer and the kicks became more brutal, both women found themselves finding no gap and landing on the mat – Downs on top of Teller. Round 4 Teller turns it up by lifting her knee and landing kicks to the body slowly trying to wear her opponent down. Fifth and final round Downs has a second wind landing a flurry of punches to Teller’s head early in the piece. As Downs continued to dominate, it was a race to the finish line to win the round. Teller emptied the tank connecting with jabs and knees leaving Downs up against the ropes. End of the fight and the result was left to the judges who saw Melody Downs had done enough to become the new NZ Women’s champion.
The second title fight of the evening was fight 14 for the WKBF NZ Junior Welterweight title (men’s), which saw Roman Nia of Wild Stables determined to defend his title against opponent fighting out of the House of Pain - Quade Taranaki. Round 1 served every fan’s expectation of a title fight: high energy, countless exchanges of strikes from jabs, punches, uppercuts to high kicks and both fighters refusing to take their foot off the pedal. Round 2 and the energy was still high and Taranaki shows his strength by throwing Nia to the ground. Nia quickly recovers swinging his way back into round winning contention – the round ends with BIG knees to the body by Taranaki. Round 4 blood is flowing from Nia’s nose and Taranaki capitalizes landing those important jabs through Nia’s guard and following with knees to Nia’s body. In the final round Taranaki shows great skill and timing landing a spinning back kick, only for Nia to counter with a spinning back fist proving he wasn’t done yet! The crowd are standing and applauding these two warriors as judges tally their scores. Shortly after, Quade Taranaki’s hand is raised as the new NZ champion.
In fight 11 Carlos Hicks of the House of Pain proved too powerful for his opponent Andrew Rea of Fortitude Combat Sports. Hicks delivered devastating body shots and won the fight via TKO early in the second round.
Fight 12 only lasted 53 seconds in total. SMAC gym fighter Oscar Remihana finished his opponent William Olivera from Coastal Kickboxing in a bizarre manner where a previous injury was aggravated (broken nose) and Olivera could not continue. After the fight ended Olivera took to the opportunity to thank the crowd and announce he would not be returning to the ring.
Out of all 15 fights, only 2 were not left in the judge’s hands showing each and every fighter who entered the ring had great determination which they showed giving the Waikato and travelling fans a night to remember.
1. 74kg: Declan Tuau (JCB Muay Thai) def Damon Rajkumar (TMT Hamilton) via DEC
2. 62kg: Eden Philips (Rotorua Lee Gar) def Kawha Nuri (Nagkaunui) via DEC
3. 75kg: Garth Ludick (Diamond Gym) def Boyd Eastwood (TMT Hamilton) via DEC
4. 74kg: Roydon Riki (San Bu Kai) def Manni Wyatt (Huntly Kickboxing) via DEC
5. 64kg: Hamza Perwaisy (TMT Hamilton) def Jesse Barakat (Coastal Kickboxing)
6. 64kg: Matt Buxton (Rogue Tauranga) def Jake Redneck (Nagkaunui Rotorua) via DEC
7. 67kg: Arden Cox (Rotorua Lee Gar) def Jordan Forlong (House of Pain) via DEC
8. 76kg: Rangi Haggi (Huntly Kickboxing) def Matt Galbrath (Fortitude Combat Sports) via DEC
9. 82kg: Johnny Rickard (House of Pain) def Jo Trevan (ETK Auckland) via DEC
10. 64kg: Hilton Underwood (San Bu Kai) def Dane Williams (ETK North Shore) via DEC
11. 76kg: Carlos Hicks (House of Pain) def Andrew Rea (Fortitude Com bat Sports) via TKO R2
12. 71kg: Oscar Remihana (SMAC Gym) def William Olivera (Coastal Kickboxing) via TKO “53 R1
13. 66.8kg: Melody Downs (Team Downs) def Natalia Teller (ETK Auckland) via DEC
14. 64.5kg: Quade Taranaki (House of Pain) def Roman Nia (Wild Stables) via DEC
15. 86kg: Joe White (Rotorua Lee Gar) def Ra Jonathon (Ngakaunui Rotorua) via DEC
Special mention to “Knees of Fury” Director/Promoter Ethan Shepp and Sheppster Promotions.